Tuesday, November 6, 2012

A Mother's Intuition

When I was pregnant with Daley I heard a lot of advice on raising a little girl.  One piece of advice that was repeated time and time again was "trust your mother's intuition."  What every person failed to mention when they gave that advice is that you will most likely doubt your mother's intuition until you see the fruits of your labor...and sometimes those fruits will come in that instant, days later, weeks later, or even months later.  Instead, they simply said "trust your mother's intuition."

Case in point: bedtime.  Daley girl is a champion sleeper.  Since she was 5 weeks old she has slept at least 7 hours at night, often 8 and the occasional 9 hours.  I am so thankful for this!  So why mess with a good thing, right?  The only set back about her sleep habits is that she wasn't going down for the night until midnight.  She would be awake until midnight, dreadfully tired, but awake.  So, this is where my mother's intuition told me that she probably didn't want to be awake that late but her second wind was kicking in at some point during the evening.  This is also where the doubt came in, telling me 'why mess with a good thing, she is a good sleeper, just be thankful for that.'

Tyler and I moved forward with our plan to try and get her to bed earlier, desperately hoping that we weren't messing with a good thing.  No magic potions or sleep dances, just trying to create a calm bed time environment around 10:00pm.  It took about a week of her continuing to stare us right in the eyes from 10:00pm to midnight, and then we had three nights in a row of 11:30pm.  So, a week and a half later I was thankful for my mother's intuition.  The doubt left my mind and I felt like I did the right thing. Tonight, Daley girl is sleeping at 10:30.  

I know that they late nights aren't over, but I am a woman that trusts the Lord and has a great husband; my late nights are not spent alone. That makes me one grateful momma!  

No comments: