Saturday, February 16, 2013

I am < 100%

Who knew that seeing the "floor blanket" laid on top of the couch , dirty side down on Daley's toys and boppy, would have the effect that it did.  I am guessing that Tyler didn't know it would have the effect that it did, or he probably wouldn't have put the "floor blanket" there in the first place.  As soon as I saw it, I felt defeated.  You see, because that dirty "floor blanket" was on top of the toys and boppy, that meant that I had more laundry to do. At that moment, having more laundry to do was just enough to push me over the edge.  I quickly scolded Tyler (by the way, if I had to guess, I don't think husbands find scolding from their wives very attractive) and picked up the blanket, loudly unzipped the boppy cover, and stomped downstairs to the washing machine.  Oh, it didn't stop there.  I continued to stomp my way around the house, sweeping loudly, doing the dishes with a few extra clangs of pots and pans hitting each other, wiping the counters off with loud sighs, and walking from room to room with an ugly pitty party going on inside.  Why am I telling you any of this, I am making myself out to look like a wife that is no fun to be around and one that makes mountains out of mole hills.

After about an hour of me stomping around and not making eye contact with Tyler, he came over to me and said "Can I say that I am sorry for putting the blanket on the couch and whatever else I did. What happened?" With tears is my eyes, I looked at him and said, "I can't be 100% all the time." 

Wow, saying that out loud is about as raw honest as it gets.  You know what my loving and gentle husband said in response? "I know."  

He knows that I can't be 100% all of the time.  So if he knows it, and I know it, why was I in tears when I said it? Why is it so hard to admit that we can't do it all? I inherently don't like to ask for help.  This is a character flaw, I know.  So if I admit that I can't be 100% all of the time, that means that I need help. 

How many of you have had Saturday mornings like mine? I bet that most of you are surrounded by people that know you can't be 100% all the time and they love you anyway.  So let's stop trying to fit a mold that we made for ourselves that no one else wants us to fill.  Let's be honest with ourselves that we can probably use one of our daughter's 37 other blankets as a floor blanket for the day, and forget about the extra load of laundry.  I say 'let's' because I believe I am not the only woman that has to admit to herself that she can't be 100%, and I also believe that I am not the only woman that has a husband that knows that his wife can't be 100% all of the time and actually enjoys her more when she isn't trying to be 100%.  




No comments: